WHAT WE DO
Creative New Jersey is dedicated to fostering creativity, collaboration, and inclusion by empowering cross-sector partnerships in commerce, education, philanthropy, government, and culture, in order to ensure dynamic communities and a thriving economy.
Learn more about what makes a Creative Community, how we work with you in our engagement process, and how to get started. Click on the corresponding heading to reveal what you need to know.
What is a Creative Community?
Our Creative Communities are single municipalities, counties or multiple-county regions who participate in our community engagement process because they believe there is an urgent need to find creative and innovative solutions to seemingly intractable problems.
It’s about you.
We bring communities together on issues that are most important to them. Our “high-touch” approach to engagement enables us to work directly with citizens, business and nonprofit leaders, and government representatives, among others, to build trust, foster collaboration, ensure inclusion, and create a shared, multi-faceted vision for the community.
The ultimate goal of our engagement process is to create and help sustain change. Our work implements human-centered design that puts the communities we work with at the center of everything we do.
Click here to read testimonials from communities who have held their own Call to Collaboration.
Our core engagement programming consists of building Creative Community Host Teams that represent each community in microcosm. Once this team is in place, we work with them to build/launch a community-wide, multi-day, inclusive meeting called a “Call to Collaboration,” which we facilitate using an Open Space Technology meeting format – a powerful, self-organizing approach that engages a highly-diverse group of people in open and authentic conversations on issues of greatest importance to them. This way of meeting puts people at the center of the agenda creation and leading conversations, which opens the door to breakthrough ideas because of its ability to invite imagination, leadership, and commitment.
Inclusion is the Key
Diversity on the Host Team and at the Call to Collaboration is essential – diversity of sectors and industries, ethnic, cultural, socio-economic and multi-generational diversity. We bring the grass-tops together with the grass-roots. The best solutions to big problems are ignited when we listen to ideas, opinions and experiences different from our own: We discover the diverse perspectives needed to fuel human ingenuity.
Because our engagement process is community-led and driven by the participating Host Team members we do not dictate a predetermined timeline, but on average it ranges from 5-10 months, depending on the level of readiness in each community.
Explore our application for more details.
After the Call to Collaboration
We work with our communities to provide on-going support in areas such as:
- Publishing the notes and next steps identified by participants at the Call to Collaboration to spur follow-up and follow-through;
- Connecting the participants through a Creative Community Facebook Group that acts as an information and resource hub;
- Promoting the ideas and actions that people are moving forward through social media and blogs;
- Connecting individuals and groups to relevant information and opportunities, similar projects, and statewide partners to expand networks and collaborations, and share best practices;
- Providing the opportunity for our Creative Communities to learn from each other during our annual Statewide Convening.
- Providing training and coaching to community leaders who want continue bringing their community together; and
- Providing a platform for youth to become leaders in their communities through the connections & contributions they make at the Call to Collaboration.
Become a Creative Community
This page is currently being updated. For questions about becoming a Creative Community, please email us at email@example.com.