Making Orange Pop—How do we embrace culture, nurture creativity and drive innovation?
About Creative Orange:
The Creative Orange Call to Collaboration was an assemblage of a diverse, cross-sector group of leaders from business, the arts, education, local government, science and technology, philanthropy and more. These leaders engaged in high-level discussions regarding community issues of greatest importance to Orange’s stakeholders and residents.
This Call to Collaboration, March 15 & 16, 2013, was hosted and planned by Creative Orange, consisting of a team of community leaders, who are committed to exploring how using creativity with cross-sector collaboration may uncover sustainable solutions to ensuring a thriving Orange. ValleyArts Executive Director Richard Bryant is a Creative Orange leader. This project is part of Creative New Jersey’s statewide effort championing creativity as a tool for discovering innovative approaches in order to ensure sustainable communities and a dynamic economy.
Among Creative Orange discussion topics were:
Brand Orange as a center of culture and innovation with a rich history; advance economic development in a just and creative way; cooperate vs. compete across creative, business, and government sectors; foster inter-generational collaboration; make train stations catalysts for economic development; work to mitigate the divisiveness of I-280; empower creativity and discipline in youth; and build a cleaner, brighter, greener, and healthier Orange.
Some of our immediate action steps include:
- Create a city-wide branding and communications platform;
- Build an arts and community alliance organization;
- Make Orange a regional destination for gospel music;
- Advance clean and green initiatives like “Clean to the Curb;”
- Develop walk-up, after-school swing dance programs for fourth graders throughout the City;
- Develop a summer theater program for youth;
- Encourage residents to plant outdoor, window, and rooftop gardens;
- Activate public recycling programs;
- Promote diabetes awareness and prevention;
- Create a real-time information hub related to crime prevention and safety.
Groups are already forming to advance Creative Orange!
A central source for information about these projects, events, programs and initiatives is being developed right now.
Please be sure to hit “LIKE” so updates will be included in your Facebook feed.
Co-Chair, Creative Orange
Executive Director, ValleyArts